Sunday, 15 February 2009

Coursework: all you need to know

I hope you're having a very happy holiday. Since you're all so diligent, I imagine that you've already spent a few hours planning your Shakespeare coursework. Before you get too far, I thought I'd take the opportunity to remind you of the criteria set down by AQA. Reading through it should be helpful as you're beginning to plot the direction your essay will take.

Remember that the essay must be within 1200-1500 words. This isn't very long, so your arguments must be succint.

The following criteria apply to both pieces of coursework.

Candidates will:
• write in essay form and construct arguments relevant to the task(s)
• offer textual evidence in support of their arguments
• use critical vocabulary relevant to discussions of tragedy and the chosen texts
• show awareness of how dramatic form and structure contribute to the tragic genre
• show awareness of some of the details of represented speech, including imagery in Shakespeare and the representation of social status in Shakespeare and other plays
• cross reference to other plays as part of their discussion of tragedy
• show awareness of different interpretations in areas such as status of tragic heroes and definitions and sub-definitions of their chosen texts within the tragic genre
• show awareness of literary and cultural contexts within notions of tragedy
• show awareness of other appropriate contexts (such as social, moral, religious and political) that may be applicable.

1 comment: